My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.pazedwardsbooks.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Friday, June 30, 2006

The Beautiful Game #7

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Germany's soccer players stretching during practice
All photos from fifa.com

A few things I like about the Beautiful Game during the World Cup:

  • I like to see everyone -- men, women, children -- get together and cheer for their favorite team.
  • I like to see the fans' enthusiasm.
  • I like that there's always the opportunity for something unexpected and fantastic to happen -- like the team from Ghana making and unpredictable and upsetting win over a favored and more experienced team.
  • I like to watch before the start of the game, when the children lead the players out to the field. They come out hand-in-hand. The players are nervous and it's interesting to see how they react with the children. Some pay attention to the kids, while others ignore them till it's time to grab their hands and march out into the stadium.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Children and German team

  • I like to see some of the traditions the players perform on the field. For example, some kiss the ground when they step on the field for the first time. Others kiss the ground after their team has scored a goal...
  • I like to see how excited both players become after they score a goal. All these men hugging and kissing on each other.
  • I love to watch how hard each team plays to win.
  • I love to watch the opposing teams show good sportmanship when they hug, congratulate each other, and trade team shirts after a game.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Legends Zidane (France team) and Figo (Portugal team)
show mutual respect at the end of game, in which France won



What I hate about the Beautiful Game:
  • I hate to see the players spit. Do they have to spit? It's so disgusting and unsightly! And I don't know why the cameraman feels the necessity to focus on this gross behavior. Uggh! :-(
  • Agressive fans who fight and do and say horrid things. Not cool at all. Very sad! :-(
Paz


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Ukraine's goalkeeper makes a save


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Italy fans


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
French team mate Patrick Viera happy after scoring goal


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
France vs. Spain fans playing table football

6 Comments:

Blogger Shelli Stevens said...

Great pics! You actually make me wanna watch soccer. But I rarely watch tv. Sigh. Have a great weekend!

July 01, 2006 3:12 AM  
Blogger Paz Edwards said...

Hi Shelli! You're probably not missing anything on t.v. It's better to be constructive, elsewhere. I on the other hand probably watch too much t.v. ;-)

Have a great weekend holiday, too!

Paz

July 02, 2006 4:52 PM  
Blogger Shelley Munro said...

A lot of the reasons you list are why I watch rugby :-)
I have to agree about the spitting. Blowing noses isn't so nice either - that's without a hanky!

I wish that the fans wouldn't be so aggressive and fight each other. That's just sad!

July 03, 2006 3:33 AM  
Blogger Paz Edwards said...

Hi Shelley: I agree about the aggressive fans and I'm going to stick that in my list above. That IS just sad. I just heard something disturbing that happened when the Ghana soccer World Cup team played. Very sad indeed.

Paz

July 05, 2006 1:12 AM  
Blogger Shelli Stevens said...

That hot dog eating guy freaks me out. I can't even get one of those nasty things down :)

July 05, 2006 8:24 PM  
Blogger Paz Edwards said...

LOL, Shelli. I have to agree! ;-)

Paz

July 05, 2006 10:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home