My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.pazedwardsbooks.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Man eats 53 3/4 hot dogs in 12 minutes

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Hot dog eating champion, Takeru Kobayashi
All photos from news.yahoo.com


That's the newspaper headline describing a yearly activity on Coney Island in Brooklyn, New York. Every Fourth of July, a hot dog eating competition brings hopefuls from all over the country and beyond to participate.

For the past 6 years a young man from from Japan has been the winner. I remember the first time I saw him, he was a skinny young man. But it seems throughout the years, he's been body building and become more developed.

Funny. He still looks smaller next to his competitors but each year he manages to out eat them. Each year, the spectator crowd grows. This year, thousands of people showed up to watch the competitors.

It seems that the winner has a certain technique of shoving the hot dogs and buns into his mouth. Very interesting to watch...

If it were up to me, I'd prefer to take my time eating and enjoying my hot dog. You can read ( and see more photos) about the event here.

Would you consider entering a wacky competition like this? Have your participated in any such competitions?

Paz


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3 Comments:

Blogger Shelley Munro said...

Oh, yuck! As a vegetarian I can't think of anything worse.

When we visited the States last year we watched a couple of the eating contests on TV. When I say watched it was more with stunned horror LOL I'd never seen anything like it in my life!

Who is going to win the World Cup? Italy or France :-)

July 06, 2006 4:03 AM  
Blogger Louisa Trent said...

Dear Lord!! Will never escape this contest??

DH and youngest son had this on the TV in my house too! They're still talking technique and regurgitation.

Anyway, unconscious as usual, I din't realize you blogged. Much success! (Frankly, I'm finding my on-line diary a hard gig, and on so many different levels.)

I enjoyed your Mediterranean photos--all those crisp blues and whites in the pure, bright light!

You have an eye for color. Bringing the pink flowers into the foreground in the Santorini (sp) shot was a masterful stroke.

Louisa Trent

July 06, 2006 7:43 AM  
Blogger Paz Edwards said...

Hi Shelley: I watch them eat with morbid fascination. I can't believe they'd do that to themselves. The funny thing is that they look like they're about to throw up but they're still trying to stuff themselves silly!

Who's going to win the World Cup? I say France. Don't tell my Italian friends I said so. LOL! Italy is normally one of the teams I root for. I'll root for them but I'm also rooting for France and I think France will win. ;-)))

Louisa! Hi and welcome! That's too funny! So, DH and your son watched the hot dog eating contest, huh? Would they considered participating, I wonder?

You're having a hard time blogging? Well, I couldn't tell. I always enjoy your blog posts. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for your well wishes on my blogging and thanks for the kind words in general. I'm glad you liked the Mediterranean photos. They're my favorites and as I posted them, I wished I were there. ;-)

Paz

July 07, 2006 12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home