My blog has moved! Redirecting…

You should be automatically redirected. If not, visit http://www.pazedwardsbooks.com/blog/ and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 10, 2006

The Beautiful Game #9

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
2006 World Cup Winners - Italy Team


The 2006 World Cup is over. Sniff. The last game garnered eight billion viewers – yes eight billion – and occurred yesterday, Sunday (June 9) between Italy and France. I almost missed the game because I was supposed to get my hair done. Guess what? I didn’t get my hair done. ;-)

Italy won in a penalty kick shootout (5-3).

It’d been a Beautiful Game until Sunday’s game. Then it turned out to be not so beautiful. Not for me, anyway. During the game, each team played well and hard. The score was tied 1-1. So the game went into overtime. Still no break in the tie.

Sometime during the overtime game, French team captain Zidane rammed his big bald head into the chest of Italian player, Marco Materazzi after they exchanged words. No one knew what was said. Now, it’s rumored that Materazzi said something racist but Materazzi has denied it. True or not, I won’t repeat the report. After the head butting incident, the referee gave Zidane a red card (the most serious penalty) and sent him off the field.

After that ugly incident, things went downhill fast for the French team and they lost.

I was horrified, disheartened and disappointed to see such a turn of events. I think that Zidane is a good person and very talented footballer. He’s retiring after the World Cup games and it’s such a shame to end his career and the World Cup on that fury-driven, ugly note.

Oh well, c’est la vie. N'est pas? That’s life. Isn't it? Life will continue. I’m moving on, too. Actually, I’m giving myself a week to get over the World Cup high and my disappointment in the ending.

For the most part, the games were fun. I enjoyed watching all the different teams and the effort and heart they put into playing. I also enjoyed watching the spectators’ enthusiasm and love for the Beautiful Game.

Until the next World Cup, which will take place in four years in South Africa; Adieu. Or since the Italians won, I guess I should say, Ciao.

Paz

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Zidane get red card from referee


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
U.S.A. President Clinton and daughter Chelsea
were among the many dignitaries at the final game

2 Comments:

Blogger Shelley Munro said...

It was a shame that the game ended on that note.
I have rugby to look forward to. Paz, you need to move south for our winter. Rugby is so much fun to watch :) Of course, there's not much sunshine here but you can't have everything!

July 12, 2006 6:23 AM  
Blogger Paz Edwards said...

Yes, a big shame, to end that way. I'm getting over it slowly but surely. I'd love to watch rugby. I've never seen it before. I don't mind not having any sunshine. It's overrated. ;-)

Paz

July 16, 2006 12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home